Alirocumab (Praluent), like almost every other medication, has side effects that you should know about.
Major side effects of Praluent are as follows
1) Local injection site reaction: this medication is administered by injection. Therefore, the injection site could become irritated and swollen. (2.5% of COMBO ODYSEE study population)
2) Musculoskeletal problems: patients on alirocumab have a higher risk of musculoskeletal issues such as pain and discomfort. (4.4% of the study population)
3) Abnormal liver enzymes: the administration of alirocumab could also result in elevated levels of liver enzymes.(1.7% of the study population)
4) Cognitive and memory impairment described as one of the possible side effects of Praluent. (0.8% of the study population).
5) Hyperglycemia or high blood sugar level has also been reported as a possible adverse effect of this medication.
6) There were also four patients (among all the study participants) diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, a variant of Guillain-Barre syndrome, optic neuritis (inflammation of the optic nerve) and transverse myelitis (a rare inflammatory disease of the spinal cord).
Additionally, here is a list of risks related to long-term treatment with the PCSK9 inhibitor,
7) Increased vulnerability to hepatitis C virus infection
8) Increased risk of colon cancer
9) A weakening of immune system